Wednesday 9 May 2012

So you ask, what's been keeping me so busy?

Keith Urban’s Days Go By has been playing on repeat in my head lately. I didn’t intend to put aside or forget or neglect my blog for the last two months, it just kinda happened. So I apologize to my followers, I will pledge to try a lot harder in the future. When I started this blog my goal was to do at least 2 posts a week plus The 30 Beauty Project. Well, I have definitely missed that goal, by a lot. I will let you in on what’s been occupying my time and keeping me so busy.

A lot of you know I am a new mom to a beautiful-growing-too-fast-six-month-old girl and that is a full time job on its own. Some of you may also know I am a fairly new wife, married just over a year ago, to Chad, and that is also a full time job. Many of you know my husband has three kids from a previous marriage, so I am also a step-mom to a 10, 8, and 6 year old. Two girls and a boy. Just over two months ago the three of them came to live with us, a full time job plus overtime. I am not complaining, not in the least. When you have a relationship with someone with kids there is always the possibility that the kids will live with you. In our case, there was always the hope they will come to live with us. Keeping course with the rate of Chad and my relationship the kids came very suddenly.

One evening Chad received a call no parent ever wants, it was from the police department in the town the kids used to live in. Chad is a speaker phone junkie and always talks on speaker, so I overheard the convo. The police said “Mr. Colbourne? Are you the father of such and such and such?” And that’s when your stomach explodes into the fit of angry butterflies. More like little caterpillars crawling and gnawing your insides. You let out that gasp; you know the one, reserved for only the truly horrific life events. The cop quickly says “the kids are alright” (you should’ve opened with that) and goes on to explain what happened that evening.

I’ve thought about it long and hard and wrestled with my mind and I have decided I will not go into detail on what exactly happened. Since working in the media, I am very aware of the consequences of putting that kind of information on the internet, and I don’t mean for myself, I mean for the kids. I believe everyone should be given a second chance, even if I don’t believe they deserve it. Everyone should be given the chance to apologize and figure out a way to put their life back on track. And publically embarrassing someone, which is what it would also be and although I think they deserve it, really would worsen the situation, not make it better. I hope one day apologies will be made and the kids can forgive, and have a relationship with their mom. I would never want to embarrass the kids in anyway, though they did nothing wrong and have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. I also didn’t give out their names, though people who know us can kinda put two and two together. Also, people who know us already know the full story. Sorry to those curious minds that don’t, I just feel this is the right thing. So let me just say the kids were removed from the house by social services and placed in our care. We have since gone to court and have been awarded custody.

So as you can imagine, I have been quite the busy mom. Now that things have settled some and routines have been put in place I can devote time to this blog once again and I intend to. Thanks for sticking it out. If you’re new, thanks for checking it out, I hope you come back. And if you like what you read click the “share” buttons below and share it on your favourite social media sites.

A final, most important note, So many people have helped us over the last two months, we really don’t know how to begin to repay all your love, generosity, and support. Thank you is not enough, though I hope the smiles on the kid faces makes a dent in the repayment.

No comments:

Post a Comment